Wednesday, August 20, 2008

In Between Phase

Now that I've wrapped up my tri training for the season I'm sort of in that in between phase where I don't really have anything specific to work out for so my motivation is at a low point. I am starting to ramp my running back up in preparation for my marathon training which officially starts in mid-September, but after two-a-day tri workouts running once a day doesn't seem like a "workout". I'm sure that once I'm running 18 mile long runs I'll be singing a different tune and will miss the days of a 14 mile bike ride in the morning and 3,000 yard mid-day swim.

Last week I was on a six mile run and at about mile four I was nailed by a painful side cramp - it wasn't really a traditional side ache but more of a muscle issue. It got so bad that I had to walk quite a bit and then ended up cutting my run short by 3/4 of a mile. Since we were in San Diego for the weekend I didn't do any running on Fri, Sat, or Sun but did go Monday morning before work. Once again my side cramped up at around mile three so I stopped and walked a bit; it wasn't as bad as the previous cramp but it still hurt. This morning I ran six miles and started feeling it come on around mile four - I pushed in on the muscle and massaged it as I ran; it never got bad enough to stop so I'm hoping that next run it won't bother me at all. Today in the pool I got a side ache in the same area as the cramps but I couldn't tell if it was a true side cramp or the issue that has been bothering me while running.

Friday is my last day of work then next week we pack up and head out for Portland. I'm looking forward to the move but there are definitely some things I will miss about California. I'll keep up on the running throughout the move and am planning on finding a pool once I'm up there for Jen and I to swim at. We'll also try to get in some rides before the days get too short (and rainy!) in Oregon. I suppose I'll be getting quite a bit of use out of my trainer this winter (gotta get my legs in shape for skiing after their six year hiatus in CA).

1 comment:

Ange said...

Hey Zach! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm so glad to find yours!! Good luck with this in between phase. It's hard for us athletes I think. Try to enjoy the unstructured time. I have 1 little week of it right now and I'm trying to savor it.
I wonder what that side cramp thing is?
Good luck with your move to Oregon too. HOpe it goes well...smooth and stress free.
angela