Saturday, January 24, 2009

Back in the Pool - Still a bit Sore

After the three day weekend I decided that getting up early to ride the trainer wasn't really something I was looking forward to so I set the alarm for 7am and got some extra sleep. Tuesday evening was our first masters practice; it was great to be back in the pool after such a long break. We're planning on going two or three times a week for the next few weeks and then maybe increase to four times a week in the summer. Well, that's my plan at least. Jen may have a bit of a different plan for her Ironman but I'm sure that no matter what we will be putting in some yardage this year.

Tuesday swim - 1,850 yards

Wednesday morning I got up and climbed on the trainer for 40 minutes. I watched a new episode of Knight Rider to pass the time. I am really looking forward to the longer days so I can get outside to ride more often. Right now it's 5:25 and just about dark. Anyway - Wednesday night I went for a quick run after work before meeting up with Jen and the Portland blogging crew for a few drinks up at The Blue Moon in NW. On the way home we grabbed some dinner at Laughing Planet and made it back just in time to catch the season premiere of LOST. It is such a good show and if you watch it then I know you know what I mean; if you don't watch it then I know you don't know what I mean and you wonder why everyone makes such a big deal about a confusing show. Well, I understand how you feel but it really is really, really, good. Anyway, I digress.

Wednesday trainer ride - 40 minutes
Wednesday evening run - 6 mi w/ four .5 mile tempo repeats - 44:13, 7:22 AP, .5 mi tempo intervals: 3:24, 3:24, 3:16, 3:11

Thursday morning I had every intention of getting up for an hour ride on the trainer but I was really tired so I decided to sleep in again. Jen was meeting Emily for happy hour which meant we wouldn't be going swimming so I decided I would make up for my missed ride in the evening. Turns out that happy hour sounded much better than a trainer ride when I was walking home, so I ended up at the bar with Jen and Emily.

Friday morning I was up early for some strength training before work. That evening I went for an easy four miles after work and made it home in time to take a shower and have some Chicken Tortilla soup that Jen made. It was really good, especially after a cold run.

Friday - 4 miles - 31:15

Today (Saturday) I got up and watched some TV, ate breakfast, and slowly got ready for my ten miler. Once I was out the door I settled into a nice groove and warmed up after about a mile. The muscles on the right side of the lower part of the front of my right leg got tight around mile two but by mile four they had loosened up a bit and weren't bothering me anymore. I kept the miles pretty even for the most part but did speed up in the last three miles. Jen rode her bike along with me and was able to get some good pictures as we rode/ran along.

Saturday run - ten miles - 1:21:20







Tomorrow Jen and Emily are running the Vancouver Lake Half Marathon which is in Vancouver at Vancouver Lake. When they signed up I thought it might be more fun to watch Jen run and get some pictures. Besides, it's been pretty cold out there and a jacket and warm cup of coffee always make spectating fun. I think Jen is going to have a good day because she hasn't put much pressure on herself for this race. Stay tuned for her race report coming tomorrow afternoon to a blog near you.

6 comments:

Alisa said...

Yay for the pool! I'll be starting back in the pool myself TODAY. Since I want to jump on the TRI bandwagon this summer, I'll have to keep a lookout for the yards you and Jen post...got to make sure I can keep up =).

Aron said...

great job on the week!! i have been having a really hard time getting up lately too :(

awesome 10 miler and awesome spectating today!!

Kim said...

you are really cruising on your runs! great workouts!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great 10 miler! and somehow Happy Hour always sounds so tempting after work! haha Nice pics!

Julianne said...

You are so dedicated Zach! It was super nice meeting you, too, btw. I want to run along the river, too!!

Marathon Maritza said...

Great 10-miler! I bet the trainer is nothing like being outside, so I'm sending you some good-weather vibes!