Monday, January 28, 2008

Saturday Long, Monday Short

Saturday Long Run: 12 miles
Total Time: 1:47:17
AP: 8:56
Avg bpm: 147

We thought Saturday morning was going to be rainy but when we woke up it was only overcast which was nice. The sun was trying to get through the clouds but was never successful while we were out running. Jen and I drove up to Danville to run on the Iron Horse trail; I had ten on my schedule but this is an 11 mile out and back so I decided to do 11 then wait for Jen while she finished up and did 12. We started out at a nice even pace (low 9’s) and continued in that range until the turnaround; at that point we took a few seconds off each mile and we were in the high 8’s/low 9’s for the way back.

Once we were close to the car I could see that I would end up with a little over 11 so I decided to finish the run out with Jen making my total 12 for the day and 24 for the week. My legs were a bit tired toward the end but I had no bad pains to speak of. My shin muscles were fine for the entire run, I think the key for the race next weekend will be starting out slow and speeding up over time.

We ended the run at Bagel Street Café and enjoyed a nice cup of coffee and a bagel.

Monday am run: Four miles
Total Time: 34:13
AP: 8:33
Avg bpm: 137

Today I woke up a couple minutes before my alarm went off but could not bring myself to jump right out of bed. I waited for the alarm to go off then got up and checked to see if it was raining; it wasn’t. I climbed back into bed and just laid there and stretched out for a few minutes. Once my alarm went off again I got up, got dressed, and headed out the door. Since this is my taper week and also because I think my shin muscles just need some TLC I kept the pace on the slower side and tried to keep my stride compact (to avoid over striding and excessive heel strike) – I felt my shin muscles getting a bit tight around mile two so I backed off a little bit and then didn’t really bother me anymore after that. I was able to pick up the pace for the last two miles but I never pushed myself too hard. My mile splits were: 9:14, 8:39, 8:28, and 7:52 and the corresponding heart rates were: 134, 135, 137, and 145.

Nothing on the schedule for this evening and Jen is out of town for work so I just plan on watching an episode of The Wire, watching Prison Break, and reading my book. Tomorrow I believe I have six on the schedule but it could be four, I can’t remember offhand.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, good Luck on Sunday.... You are the man.... I am sure Jen will be your biggest fan there. We will be waiting to hear/read all about it. Be sure and let us know how it goes.


P&A in Montana