Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Swimming why do you hate me so?

Saturday am - run in Phoenix w/ Jen - 1:12:05 - 9:01 AP
Monday am - 1000m at the pool 19:06
Monday pm - ran 6mi w/ Jen on the hilly loop - 49:24 8:14 AP
Tuesday am - 750m at the pool - 500m 8:52 - 5x50 on 1:00 - :44avg

Often when reading I notice people talking about their swimming drills and they throw out things like 5x50 on :40 and 5x100 on 1:30 and I think to myself "holy crap self, that would kill us if we had to swim those drills". The other day I averaged 1:32ish on 100m drills but I was resting for 1:00 after each 100m. Same deal with a 50m sprint, sure I can do it in around :40 but that would leave me with no recovery time before the next set and after 200m or so I would be dying.

Recently Jen and I have been talking about joining a local masters group; and lately that idea seems better and better every day. I know it will be really tough for the first few weeks, especially when you consider the fact that we will be swimming as much in one day as we have been doing all week. However, the benefits far outweigh the initial suffering and in the long run I'm sure it will pay off.

Overall the training has been going well and I am looking forward to the first event. I haven't been out in the new wetsuit yet and won't have a chance to until the weekend after we get back from Boston (which is also the weekend before the race).

1 comment:

21stCenturyMom said...

Happy Birthday!

Here's your birthday present - swimming with a masters team is awesome! There are people of all abilities and you will find a lane that works for you. Also - you can swim with people who are faster than you and you will get faster (a little winded, but faster). In your neck of the woods is TVM (http://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?team=tvm) or there is always my beloved team, Walnut Creek Masters which is a great team but not probably too convenient for you
http://www.teamunify.com/Home.jsp?team=wcm



Enjoy your big day!